Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Music Makers: Nursery Rhymes

Music Makers is a thirty minute registered program for 2 and 3 year olds and their caregivers. The focus of the program is music and each storytime concentrates on music, singing, and movement. I usually read two books during the program, but they are all "sing-a-book" titles so I actually end up singing the books instead of straight reading.

Program Note: I'll list the books, songs, and Jazz It Up Moment in no particular order because that's how I plan. I always think on my feet in the storytime. I used to plan them in order, but it would always change depending on the crowd and the attitude of the kids.

Dewey Bear
Dewey Bear greets everyone on the way in with hugs and high fives

Opening Song: 
"Tony Chestnut" by Carol Hammett from Toddlers on Parade

Book:
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by Jane Cabrera

Songs:
"Warm Up Time" by Georgiana Stewart from Action Song for Preschoolers
"Jump Up Turn Around" by Jim Gill from Jim Gill Sings Moving Rhymes for Modern Times
"Little Red Wagon" by The Learning Groove from Yummy Yellow
"The Grand Old Duke of York" by Carol Hammett from Toddlers on Parade
"Nursery Rhyme Tap" by Pamela Schiller from Leapin' Literacy
We have a white board easel in our program room and I use it in every Music Makers as a welcome. I also feature one song from the program each time. I put the title and artist and then put down some of the actions so that it's easy to follow along with. I like doing this because it brings some text into the storytime and enforces that early literacy component. Caregivers can also participate easily this way because they know exactly what to do...no excuses for not dancing!


Shared Board Book:
Five Little Ducks by Raffi




Jazz It Up Moment:
I know this is stretching it for a Jazz It Up moment, but it's the first storytime of the session and I wanted to get a feel for the kids and their caregivers and what they could handle.

Right before the closing song I made a quick announcement. I introduced some books that I encouraged the children and caregivers to check out. I had the books displayed during the whole program and right before I gave my little speech a little kid asked if I was going to read all of those books. It was a great transition into discussing checking out books to take home and share. 

I chose these particular books because they are all simple presentations of nursery rhymes, fairy tales, and classic songs. I talked about the importance of nursery rhymes and how they are easy to sing and repeat without books and how that can really enhance early literacy. The books are all from Child's World and there are a few different sets: Children's Favorite Poems and Songs, Favorite Mother Goose Rhymes, Children's Favorite Activity Songs, and Aesop's Fables.

Of all the books I set out (you can see it was a lot from the pictures) I only had about 5 left that I needed to re-shelve, so it was a success!

 
Closing Song:
"Skinnamarink" by Carole Peterson from Stinky Cake

Dewey Bear
Dewey Bear says goodbye to everyone on the way out with hugs and high fives


It was a great first storytime of the session! A brilliant success and I can't wait for the next one. Unfortunately I spent so much time talking at the beginning and introducing the program (which I do at the beginning of every session) that I didn't have time to read "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". It's such an awesome book so I'll save it for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment