Friday, March 29, 2013

Music Makers: Food

Music Makers is a thirty minute registered program for 2 and 3 year olds and their caregivers. The focus of the program is music and each storytime concentrates on music, singing, and movement. I usually read two books during the program, but they are all "sing-a-book" titles so I actually end up singing the books instead of straight reading.

I don't normally use a theme when I plan Music Makers. After I planned this current session I noticed that each week had some vague similarities/theme qualities so I went ahead and labeled them. Just remember that it's a very loose theme and not everything pertains to it.


Dewey Bear
Dewey Bear greets everyone on the way in with hugs and high fives

Opening Song:
"Tony Chestnut" by Carol Hammett from Toddlers on Parade

Book:

Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott

Movement Songs:
"Peanut Butter" by Jean R. Feldman from Keep On Singing and Dancing with Dr. Jean
"We Will Stomp" by The Learning Groove from Yummy Yellow
"The Slow Fast Soft Loud Clap Song" by William Janiak from Songs About Me

Prop Songs (shakers):
We use these mini-rainshakers from Lakeshore (unfortunately they are discontinued now). We chose this set because they are not choking hazards for under 3 year olds like most egg shakers are.

"Fruit Salad Salsa" by Laurie Berkner from Victor Vito
"Shake With You" by The Learning Groove from Bouncy Blue


Shared Board Book:

It's Raining, It's Pouring by Iza Trapani

Jazz It Up Moment:
"Five Green and Speckled Frogs" with puppets



I'm trying a new thing this session where I incorporate a re-telling of a classic song either with puppets or flannel each week. This forces me to think creatively at times and I feel like it's really pushing me to think outside of the "song-book-song" routine.

"Five Green and Speckled Frogs" is one that most parents know so I was pleased to discovered these cute finger puppets. The blue flannel easel we have was great for a log/pond set-up and the frogs got to jump all the way down to the little tray where the were hidden from view. The children were all engaged and I even got the grown-ups to sing along with me!

Closing Song:
"Skinnamarink" by Carole Peterson from Stinky Cake


Dewey Bear
Dewey Bear says goodbye to everyone on the way out with hugs and high fives.


I ran out of time and wasn't able to do "The Slow Fast Soft Cloud Clap Song". But overall it was a great storytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment