Friday, April 12, 2013

Lauren Thompson

Week Five of Author Highlights: Lauren Thompson
This plan is for a preschool storytime, a registered program for 3-5 year olds that attend the program independently without a caregiver.

Note: I was in a haze during this storytime. I ended up going home sick right after this program and found out I had strep! So, there isn't really a Jazz It Up Moment for the program. I was lucky to just get the storytime done. Also, because of the sickness there will be no Music Maker post this week.

Opening Activity:
Little Mouse flannel

Books:

How Many Cats by Lauren Thompson
Little Quack's New Friend by Lauren Thompson
Mouse's First Spring by Lauren Thompson

Bean Bag Song:
"Bean Bag Rock" by Georgiana Stewart from Action Songs for Preschoolers

Special Request Book:

Little Quack by Lauren Thompson

Goodbye Song:
"Goodbye" by Old Town School of Folk Music from Songs for Wiggleworms


What Went Not So Great

  • Obviously the sickness prevented a truly great storytime, so the whole thing was pretty low energy. I had grand plans to make a magnet story out of Little Mouse's First Spring in hopes of elevating the story to a preschool level. I ended up not getting it done and therefore the book fell a bit flat for the kiddos. They were a bit bored by it.
  • I really wanted the bean bag song to go over well. Unfortunately I've noticed that my preschoolers aren't really into the bean bags. We have this set from Music in Motion and I don't know if it's because they are small or what, but the children just don't like this prop as well as scarves or rhythm sticks. It was a bummer because I've found great success with this song in the past. The only thing I can think of is that the song is possibly a little young for my current group of preschoolers.

What Went Right

  • They LOVED Little Quack! My plan was to read Little Quack's New Friend and in our discussion about authors and Lauren Thompson I wanted to talk about how she wrote about the same characters a lot (Little Quack, Little Mouse), so I had other Little Quack books on display. They enjoyed New Friend so much that I ended up reading the original Little Quack as well by special request.

No comments:

Post a Comment