Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Music Makers: Bath and Bedtime

Music Makers is a thirty minute registered program for 2 and 3 year olds and their caregivers. The focus of the program is music and each storytime concentrates on music, singing, and movement.

I don't normally use a theme when I plan Music Makers. After I planned this current session I noticed that each week had some vague similarities/theme qualities so I went ahead and labeled them. Just remember that it's a very loose theme and not everything pertains to it.

Dewey Bear
Dewey Bear greets everyone on the way in with hugs and high fives.

Opening Song:
"Tony Chestnut" by Carol Hammett from Toddlers on Parade

Movement Songs:
"Warm Up Time" by Georgiana Stewart from Action Songs for Preschoolers
"Jump Up, Turn Around" by Jim Gill from Jim Gill Sings Moving Rhymes for Modern Times
"Put Your Finger in the Air" by Carole Peterson from Baloney

Book:
Eyes Noes Fingers and Toes by Judy Hindley
This book is quite lenghty and I didn't know if my toddlers would sit through it, but they did! They loved that they could act out the text as I read it. I know this isn't a song and doesn't necessarily fit into a music program. However, I let it slide because this program also focuses on movement and I wanted to show parents that you could find books that help assist with that as well.

Bath Time Songs:
"Bathing in the Tub" by Priscilla A. Hegner from Baby Games
"Fluffy Towel" by Priscilla A. Hegner from Baby Games

For the first song, I used bubbles. I walked around the room blowing bubbles (I only had one bottle) and let the children try and pop and catch them. Typically I like having the little individual bottles of bubbles and I give one to each caregiver so each child has a personal bubble blower, but we seemed to be out of those and I had to settle with just me. It got a little chaotic with me being the only one with the bubbles and we had a few kids running around screaming while others just patiently waited for me to come to them with the bubbles.

The second song I used scarves. I would have preferred actual washcloths, but my library doesn't have a set of those. We talked about pretending and how we would pretend that the scarf was a washcloth and we needed to dry ourselves off. They loved it!

Jazz It Up Moment:
Sing and retell Five Little Monkeys using flannel pieces



Closing Song:
"Skinnamarink" by Carole Peterson from Stinky Cake

Dewey Bear
Dewey Bear says goodbye to everyone on the way out with hugs and high fives.


How it Went:
I was pleased with this program and this is definitely a plan I will use again. 

I did run out of time, I had planned on reading Twinkle Twinkle Time for Bed as a shared board book. I wanted to read it three times and each time we get quieter and quieter. I thought it was perfect for the theme, but I just didn't have time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment