Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rhythm and Rhyme - 4 & 5 year olds

This plan is for my program Storybook Fun! It's a registered storytime for 4 &5 year olds to attend independently.

To save on my planning time I use a lot of the same materials between my 3 year old program and my 4/5 program. So there will be a lot of repetition in the Storybook Fun posts from time to time.


Opening Activity:
Little Mouse flannel board game with musical notes hiding under the houses

Opening Song:
"These Are My Glasses" by Laurie Berkner from Whaddaya Think of That

Book: 
Mole Music by David McPhail














Jazz It Up Moment:
Read and listen to Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin
I played the song on the iPod and used the flannel pieces as a storytelling prop. A lot of the children are familiar with the book so this was a fun new way to grab their attention and allowed them to sing (and dance) along with me.
















Scarf Song:
"Rhythm in the Scarves" by Johnette Downing from Second Line Scarf Activity Songs

Book:
Be Quiet, Mike! by Leslie Patricelli














Closing Rhyme:
Reach for the Sky
Clap your hands, touch your toes,
Turn around and put a finger on your nose
Flap your arms, jump up high
Wiggle your fingers and reach for the sky!


What I Didn't Have Time For:
A variety of books:
  • Boom Chicka Rock by John Archambault
  • The Remarkable Farkle McBride by John Lithgow
  • Down by the Station by Jennifer Riggs Vetter

1 comment: